hoooeee, that is some pig!
Here are some of my favorite lines from my favorite books:
"I have been used to the gratification of believing myself to earn every blessing that I enjoyed...I must endeavor to subdue my mind to my fortune. I must learn to brook being happier than I deserve."
"The feeling often comes over me that I am not at all remarkable; it is fun to plan a career, but in all probability, I shan't turn out a bit different from any other ordinary person. I may end up by marrying an undertaker and being an inspiration to him in his work."
The next two are from the same book:
"It's because of all the brothers, I guess, meaning I don't know about girls. The brothers do teach me about cars...but they don't teach me about girls. And I've only got one sister and she's younger and likes to beat me up, which teaches me nothing apart from shame."
"I have realized that it is essential for a boy to be funny. Otherwise, what is the point in a boy?The boy must be funny...If a boy is not able to be funny, then the boy should not talk at all. The boy should be completely silent."
Anyone who can guess what book or author at least two of the quotes are from will get a surprise! (and I'll try to make it a good one, but don't expect a great one, ok?)
Alright, enough procrastination. Time for my trial packing.
"I have been used to the gratification of believing myself to earn every blessing that I enjoyed...I must endeavor to subdue my mind to my fortune. I must learn to brook being happier than I deserve."
"The feeling often comes over me that I am not at all remarkable; it is fun to plan a career, but in all probability, I shan't turn out a bit different from any other ordinary person. I may end up by marrying an undertaker and being an inspiration to him in his work."
The next two are from the same book:
"It's because of all the brothers, I guess, meaning I don't know about girls. The brothers do teach me about cars...but they don't teach me about girls. And I've only got one sister and she's younger and likes to beat me up, which teaches me nothing apart from shame."
"I have realized that it is essential for a boy to be funny. Otherwise, what is the point in a boy?The boy must be funny...If a boy is not able to be funny, then the boy should not talk at all. The boy should be completely silent."
Anyone who can guess what book or author at least two of the quotes are from will get a surprise! (and I'll try to make it a good one, but don't expect a great one, ok?)
Alright, enough procrastination. Time for my trial packing.


7 Comments:
At 7/6/06, 11:21 AM ,
Jo said...
double surprise if you know what movie the title of the post comes from.
At 7/6/06, 9:07 PM ,
Aphra said...
Do you have to be an English major to participate in this?
I can tell you which book 'ten little ladybugs sitting on a log' comes from, but not much else.
I really like the undertaker one though.
At 7/6/06, 9:18 PM ,
Aphra said...
"A game starts. It's called life. You get knocked down. You get held up by some dirty trick. No one's there to help you. Everyone's waiting for you to stay down. But you don't give up. You adapt and you run fast, fast enough to get a moment of breathing room and reach down past you heart and into your gut to do something no one's ever seen before, something nobody ever though possible." ~Dave Kalstein, Prodigy
At 7/11/06, 3:51 AM ,
rab said...
My guess for the blog title is "Charlotte's Web."
Okay. I don't have a clue where these quotes come from but I need to know because I am adding the "I may end up by marrying an undertaker and being an inspiration to him in his work" quote to my quotes diary.
Meanwhile, here are two of my favourites. They are from the same book which is currently out of print. (It is also pretty old as you may be able to tell from the language.)
The book was pretty crumby (crummy?) generally but I love these quotes. Somehow, I relate to their melancholy tone at this stage in my life.
If you can tell me where they're from, I'll send YOU something special.
“There are drawbacks to age. It brings its weariness with it, and it encourages the contempt of the less thoughtful; so I think that the best possessions that an old man can hope for are the respect and affection of his family and it behoves him to make himself as little disagreeable as possible.”
“I don’t know that there is a great deal to be said for this world, or our sojourn here upon it; but it has pleased God so to place us, and it must please me also. I ask you, What is human life? Is not it a maimed happiness – care and weariness, weariness and care, with the baseless expectation, the strange cozenage of a brighter tomorrow? At best it is but a froward child, that must be played with and humoured, to keep it quiet till it falls asleep, and then the care is over.”
At 7/12/06, 4:29 PM ,
Jo said...
Bob, the undertaker one comes from Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster. I have no idea what book yours are from, so I guess I won't be getting anything special in the mail...
At 7/13/06, 9:51 PM ,
rab said...
Thanks for the quote. I've added it to my list of favourites. So, was the title from Charlotte's Web?
At 7/14/06, 10:30 AM ,
Jo said...
yep, the title is a line from the movie that will forever be in my head
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home