sharing

Sunday, July 16, 2006

milestones

Lots to cover in this post, including the first photos to be posted from Melbourne! (obviously not first in the world, but first on my blog) I think I'll go in chronological order to avoid confusion. Friday afternoon I went on the City Treasure Hunt (a Welcome Festival event-this university welcomes international students awesomely). I was in a group with students from Germany, the Netherlands, California and Sweden. Our hosts were from India and Hong Kong. I'm not meeting many Australians, but I am meeting people from almost everywhere else in the world! Anyway, the treasure hunt was my first time on public transit, and my first time downtown. The tram ride was great, except for the old lady who kept on saying "Oi! Can you keep it down?" (We were not being that loud.) Thankfully she wasn't on the tram for very long. Once we got downtown we had different questions to answer and pictures to take ie how many light posts are there at the cricket stadium? and what building is considered the centre of Melbourne? The hunt took us to Parliament, where we got a group photo.

You can see a tram in the background, but its wonky due to the picture taking conditions.
After the hunt we went to an Asian restaurant for a buffet where you pick out raw meat (and noodles and vegetables) and cook them in flavored boiling water that's in the middle of your table. It was very good, especially since I avoided all the freaky meats.

Saturday morning I headed towards campus to catch the bus to the mall and saw not one, not two, not three, but FOUR kangaroos hopping around. Very thrilling. I didn't have my camera, but it was just as well because they were a bit too far away to get good pictures of.
Then I headed to the mall to buy hangers, sticky tac, a notebook, laundry detergent and my very first cell phone. If anyone wants to give me a call, just email me and I'll give you my number.
After my shopping I headed back to campus and met up with Heather(Ontario), Brian(California) and David (South Carolina) to go downtown. I met them at McDonalds where I tried a McOz burger-pretty much a regular burger, but with sliced beets on it. Downtown I picked up the gloves I had forgotten at the restaurant the night before, and we visited a huge outdoor market, went to the Old Melbourne Gaol, and then to an Italian restaurant for dinner. I was pretty worn out by the time I got home-so worn out, that I slept past 6 am for the first time since arriving!

4 Comments:

  • At 7/17/06, 11:49 PM , Blogger rab said...

    Nice to know you went all that way and could still find a McDonald's! What a world. At least you got to see some kangas.

     
  • At 7/18/06, 4:50 AM , Blogger Aphra said...

    Sliced beets? wow. can't say that sounds terribly apetizing, but at least you are living the culture!?

    Gloves? You are missing out on some sweltering hot conditions here sister!
    I'll have to think when I am up in the night sweating- I wonder what that cool Joanna is doing?

    Miss you!

     
  • At 7/19/06, 1:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Joanna,
    Sounds like you are having a great time and cool adventures. I hope that you are doing well and enjoying yourself. How long are you planning on staying in Australia? I'm going to keep checking out your blog to see what's up in your life.
    joel

     
  • At 7/19/06, 5:51 PM , Blogger Jo said...

    joel, I'll be here at least a year (because that's how long my program is) but my visa extends a couple of months after that, so it will depend on how much fun I'm having here, and how much money I have left!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home