sharing

Friday, September 17, 2010

plague!

As if farmers around here haven't had enough to worry about with the last 10 years of drought, now that we've finally got rain, we've also got locusts. People are predicting the worst plague of locusts in 75 years, with all sorts of wild threats about the impact it will have on agriculture (and the spring racing season). The state government is throwing millions of dollars at killing the locusts.
I feel really awful for the farmers, but I have to admit that part of me is a teensy bit intrigued. One of the farmers in this article said she hopes that the locusts migrate to the cities so that us city dwellers get a taste of what it's actually like. I sort of hope so too. My biggest impression of locust plagues was formed by the Ingalls family experience as described by Laura in On the Banks of Plum Creek. I hope it won't be as bad and gross as that was. Surely our houses are built a bit better now and the locusts wouldn't be able to get inside?

I'm on school holidays yet again. I've stocked up on dvd's from the library, have a few knitting projects to start thanks to Hugh's birthday gifts, and as usual, some chores that it would be good to get done (ie the blinds in the kitchen that are getting into a very yucky state). I'm also really hoping for a couple of warm sunny days-I would love to head to the beach or to the Dandenongs on a nice day and enjoy spring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home