pomp
This week I went to the American consulate to apply to get my name changed on my social security card. It was quite the event.
1. Get buzzed into the security room.
2. Sign into the computer system with my passport number.
3. Get given a barcode sticker to put on my shirt.
4. Go through the metal detector.
5. Give the security guards anything I didn't need with me for my appointment to be kept for me until I was done.
6. Get escorted to the 6th floor by one of the security guards.
7. Have my bar code scanned and walk through another metal detector.
8. Be bemused by the solemnity of the consulate and the large pictures of Obama, Hilary Clinton, and some other guy (maybe the vice president?).
9. Find out that I shouldn't bother sending off the application anyway because they need more evidence than the marriage certificate and maybe a Victorian driver's license is not good enough!
I do not recommend changing your name if you have ID in three countries.
1. Get buzzed into the security room.
2. Sign into the computer system with my passport number.
3. Get given a barcode sticker to put on my shirt.
4. Go through the metal detector.
5. Give the security guards anything I didn't need with me for my appointment to be kept for me until I was done.
6. Get escorted to the 6th floor by one of the security guards.
7. Have my bar code scanned and walk through another metal detector.
8. Be bemused by the solemnity of the consulate and the large pictures of Obama, Hilary Clinton, and some other guy (maybe the vice president?).
9. Find out that I shouldn't bother sending off the application anyway because they need more evidence than the marriage certificate and maybe a Victorian driver's license is not good enough!
I do not recommend changing your name if you have ID in three countries.


2 Comments:
At 10/14/10, 8:12 PM ,
Lyndall said...
OH My! what a palava. I must say I felt a little bit the same applying for a Visa for the Philippines 10 years ago. seems to be alot of red tape. I assume it would be even worse now though.
At 10/15/10, 11:58 PM ,
Michelle Lamey said...
American security is something else...as we found out when we were in NYC a couple weeks ago.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home